Man-in-a-Hat is Back, with a New Hat!







The first Man-in-a-Hat adventure of the season is looming. May as well start off with a double-header eh?

The plan is to travel to Harrogate Friday, stay 3 nights, and then head back to Stockport Monday morning to take in Chesterfield at home, via Ye Olde Vic of course.

And, a new hat has been procured to celebrate County being back playing football at a national level.




This one ?


Harrogate has a special place in my personal history, as it was my first stop-over for a competitive match following my retirement over 6 years ago. Yep, I know, you lucky beggar!

Pre-season, I’d also stopped over in Ramsbottom, really just to prove to myself that this was the sort of thing I could get up to now I had time on my hands.

My recollections of Harrogate are a bit sketchy, as hedgegrower hadn’t gotten wind of what I was up to at this point, so Man-in-a-Hat didn’t exist and no report was submitted.

However, what I do remember, is that I went up on the Friday in order to check out the lie-of-the-land, ahead of meeting various at the Station Saturday morning, and then showing them around Harrogate.

Everything was going swimmingly until we came to leave the rather excellent Coach and Horses, which I’m pleased to report is still in the Good Beer Guide, as it has been for over 20 years.

We have 9 Good Beer Guide pubs to get through this trip by the way.

Anyway, the Coach and Horses is situated on the corner of West Park and York Place, which takes you towards the ground, and has doors on both roads (bear with me).






We entered the Coach and Horses through the door on York Place, so mentally I noted that we would simply need to head left when we departed, and then proceed along York Place, with plenty of time to try the Swan on the Stray (now called just the Swan) before going to the game.








However, we exited through the door on West Park, so by bearing left and carrying straight on, we ended up marching down the A61 towards Leeds.

To make matters worse, due to my explorations of Harrogate the previous day, I was 100% sure that we were on the right road. By the time someone convinced me otherwise, we were so far out of Harrogate, we had to get a bus back in and start over. No time to visit the Swan!

However, far greater crimes than this were committed that day, and not by me!

Prior to the game, we had a few beers in the bar inside the ground, which is now called Venue 1919. When we asked what time the curtains would be closed prior to the game kicking off, we were informed that the curtains wouldn’t be closed, as they wanted us to stay put and carry on supping.

This sowed the seeds for conduct that Man-in-a-Hat considers to be unacceptable.

Certain supporters decided to head back to the bar when County fell 3-0 behind late in the first half, and did not return pitch-side for the second half!

I’m afraid it’s my sad duty to rat out these reprobates. 



 
Can you name them?

Thankfully, that behaviour can’t be repeated this weekend, as I gather we won’t be allowed in the bar.

The other thing I remember is that I think Ian Bogie resigned after the game (on the pitch?) and that the Police arrived at the ground to sort out some behind-the scenes argy-bargy (we had stayed for yet more beer).

 

If you can help clarify what went on, that would be greatly appreciated.

So, see you in Harrogate, with my new hat, and of course, my camera.


Man in a Hat.

Comments

Top Posts

Simply Disgraceful !

Wrexham 1 Stockport County 2 ( Vanarama National League) 31 August 2019

Notts County 2 Stockport County 1 ( Vanarama National League) Saturday 23 October 2021