Bringing in the New Year in Wales by Man in a Hat.









Colwyn Bay will be my first stop-over outing since Hednesford, thanks to the bizarre decision by Chorley F.C. to reschedule their game with County, decreeing that playing in the Lancashire Challenge Trophy took priority!  

When I found out about this scandalously disrespectful decision, the toys were well and truly hurled from the pram. I cancelled my B&B, returned my train tickets, and would have given my cat a good kicking if only I could have caught her.


 
Ceefur- a deceptively nimble cat !
I also ratted them out to Chorley Chamber of Commerce, highlighting that my decision not to travel would have dire consequences for the local economy, particularly for purveyors of fine ales. Unbelievably, I’m yet to receive a response regarding any action they intend to take, leading me to conclude that they must be in cahoots with the Magpies.    

The Colwyn Campaign


More complicated than you’d ideally like, this one.

Not only will I have to cope with public transport during one of the most unpredictable periods of the year, thanks to the Supporters’ Co-op, I’m also joining Jon Keighren in the Pure FM commentary box as summariser for the game.

However, a fellow County Supporter with excellent local knowledge, has given me the inside track on all sorts of things like where to stay, where the decent real ale is and where to procure quality pies & sausage rolls.

So, the plan is to get the train to Llandudno Tuesday 30th December. Assuming I get my connections at Crewe & then Chester, I should be checking into the Alexandra Hotel early afternoon.

Castles & Sausage Rolls


Weather permitting, I’ll walk to Conwy (about 5 miles) via the Castle View, over the bridge & spend the evening there checking out the real ale & sausage rolls.

The main port-of-call will be the Albion Inn, which apparently stocks ales from Stockport Brewing. These ales are brewed under the central arch of our very own viaduct. What about that!


George & Dragon- Conwy.

Other ale outlets in Conwy include the George & Dragon, the Castle Hotel, Ye Olde Mail Coach & the Liverpool Arms.

I must be Crazy?


New Year’s Eve will be spent in Llandudno & I’m hoping to get a game of crazy golf in up on the Great Orme, after riding up there on the Tramway. Pubs on my hit-list include the Albert, the Cottage Loaf, the Snowdon, the Kings Head & the Kings Arms. The Wetherspoons (Palladium) is also worth a look apparently.

Remember - No Swearing!

I’ll be walking to the game along the Wales Coast Path on New Year’s Day (another 5 miles). In theory, I should pass the Picture House (Wetherspoons) on the way, where I expect to find some of the Blue Army eagerly waiting to be photographed.

All being well, I should be able to get a few ales in at the Red Lion before reporting to the Red Lion Foods Stadium (surely it isn’t really called that!) to help Jon (wearing my topper of course).





Hopefully, I’ll be able to keep my potty-mouth under control. If you can’t get to the game, why not tune into Pure to find out if I manage it.

Don’t forget to check out my report on my adventures, when I’ll try to answer questions like: are there any trains on New Years’ Day; how often will I get lost & just how do the Welsh celebrate New Year? 

As you know, you can find all of the pubs I try on the excellent CAMRA website www.whatpub.com

Remember, I’ll be wearing my Top Hat & trying to get as many photos of the Blue Army on the march, so don’t let me down.

See you there!



MAN IN A HAT.

Comments

Top Posts

Simply Disgraceful !

Wrexham 1 Stockport County 2 ( Vanarama National League) 31 August 2019

Notts County 2 Stockport County 1 ( Vanarama National League) Saturday 23 October 2021