How the Devil Are Ya ?- 3









Our first item is a very welcome offering from one of our army of exiles ……

A View From Abroad by Steve Jones!

Its fifteen years since we decided to up roots and emigrate to the sunny Island of Cyprus. Born and bred in Stockport my father took me to my first game when I was six, from that day on I  was hooked.
It was with a heavy heart when we left the UK, especially leaving my beloved club behind.  Had so many fond memories at EP, grew up with Ian Lancashire, we had some ups and downs, mainly downs with our team over the years.

Steve at Everton v County- FA Cup 1996





People often ask who I support, when I tell them they say "who" what league are they in then? I have to bite my tongue and say it through gritted teeth, it matters not though County will always be close to my heart even thousands of miles away.

So, what`s it like living in another country? Well, the warm weather of course, cheaper cost of living and in the current situation "safe" very safe, only 108 cases and 4 deaths thankfully, we were locked down very early and it looks like it paid off?

For me the Yellowboard is a life line between me and the supporters, regular updates, some light hearted banter, and some falling out however, having been a member since 2005 I wouldn't be without it.

Another life line is County World, we are two hours ahead of the UK here, so at 5pm prompt everything gets put on hold, headphones on , glass of wine in hand and anxiously await three valuable points if we are lucky?

Going home? We try and get back about four times a year and of course to take in a couple of games, my parents both in their 90 s only live a half a mile from the ground, and yes I still get e thrill when I walk though that turnstile into the ground.  At nearly 70 I am still proud to be a County fan and always will be.

So to you out there, stay safe, take care of you and your families.

Steve Jones




Painter, Decorator , Help the Hatters stalwart, and travelling County fan Kip Akram came up with this:-

 Dear all,
I have enjoyed reading your individual stories submitted to our own hedgegrower.
Like Ian, I am a  member of Help the Hatters-quite possibly “by far the greatest team(of volunteer fans)....the world has ever seen!"

 
Help the Hatters- Kip front right.





If normal service had been resumed we would have started our annual end of season working parties by now. My particular skill set is Painting and Decorating and boy….we certainly do an awful lot of that every close season.

I have been a member of this merry band since 2014 and my only regret is not joining sooner. Everyone pitches in and contributes time, effort, stories, craic and cake!!

During lockdown I have been putting my skills to good use by painting my own outside.    To say it was looking a bit sad was an understatement(oops).But now the gutters, fascia’s and soffit boards are looking totally resplendent in glorious royal blue and white(photos of handiwork included).








Because of lockdown, nearly every interview on TV has been conducted from people`s homes using todays tech. I have noticed an awful lot of people like to sit themselves in front of near full bookshelves in an attempt to impress us all as to how well read they are. I would love it if just once the interviewer asked "So how many of those books have you actually read.....ok, how many have you coloured in then?"

I would like to think that this pandemic has put into perspective just where we are going as a people. I would hate to think that everything simply returns to how it was once this is all over. We need to ask ourselves what type of a society we want to live in and what do we place real value on. A chance to press the re-set button perhaps and truly work together and not let differences divide us as people and as a global community. Our doctors, nurses and NHS staff along with all care workers deserve more than just a hearty round of applause once a week.

We will see our friends again and hug our family members and we will gather once more in our spiritual home of SK3  to welcome our beloved team to do battle once more. Until then Animo Et Fide.
Stay safe and well everyone.

Kip.

And….Spooks, Baking and a Jungle have faced County supporter Gary Kimber………..






 What To Do Today ?

After the first few weeks where we had to self isolate and in between trying in vain to secure grocery booking slots and instead having to rely on family to drop off food, we found ourselves binge watching old episodes of Spooks (Still stands up well to be fair). 

We then moved on to the stay at home scenario and suddenly you find yourself looking for other things to do. After exhaustive attempts at baking bread and cakes and despite not really being a fan of gardening I suddenly found myself not only doing a big tidy of our garden but also tackling what was the jungle of next doors garden as the householder there is unable to get outside and the weeds had almost obscured the house itself. 
Strangely I also found it quite enjoyable and will return to action again once the green bins are emptied later this week.

Roscoe( Gary Kimber).


This sobering contribution came in from County exile Paul Gregg ( Dudley Hatter of County Heaven fame)……..





 My view from 1000 miles south of Stockport in Málaga is somewhat different!

 I was truly locked down for 7 weeks - no exercise time at all, only allowed to go to the closest shop or essential work. Fined if you broke it. The streets of my beautiful adopted city became deserted and the only sound reaching across was the singing of birds and the melancholy echoing of applause every night at 8pm that faded after 5 minutes to silence once more.
 
Seen by Paul on his pre curfew walk !





My work (teaching) switched online and I have developed lots of new skills as have my students. This has kept me very occupied all day and most of the night! Now we are slowly being released but things are far from normal.
 
view from Paul`s work station.




I haven’t seen my children for 5 months, but the joys of technology keep us connected. I’m not sure when flights will begin again, but I would love to see my children (and County!) this year but I’m not overly hopeful.

Paul Gregg



This from County Historian, SCAN Guardian , and Man in a Hat`s oft times drinking companion on many of his travels in support of County, Ian Watts.

 
Ian presenting to John Nibloe`s family.

 
Good to hear how you are all getting on. Aside from growing my hair long
(just joking) and eating my breakfast stood in the back yard,   I have
been mostly doing what you would expect a historical advisor to the club
to do normally , searching to fill gaps in the careers of the many
people who have passed through County's doors as employees.
Missing pubs most , but resisting drinking at home although up to four
large meals a day so not losing any weight.

At the end of WW2 crowds at sporting events soared and I expect this may
happen again when we are allowed back into EP.

At the risk of plagiarising Hill Street Blues, let's be careful out
there , as on that first home game we need every one of you there so we
can pay a heartfelt County  tribute to the key workers and those
fighting for our loved one's on the new front line.

Ian Watts.

And that is that for edition 3 of this series.
Once again I thank all who have contributed – short or long ( and Kip`s creative juices were rampant as he gave us 368 words) they are all appreciated, and particularly so from our huge exile population out there in all parts of the globe. Paul and Steve were two such valued exiled supporters who contributed to this latest effort, and we would be overjoyed to receive more from others in the Blue Army  home & abroad!

Stay safe !

hedgegrower


Comments

Top Posts

Simply Disgraceful !

Wrexham 1 Stockport County 2 ( Vanarama National League) 31 August 2019

Notts County 2 Stockport County 1 ( Vanarama National League) Saturday 23 October 2021