Hatters Worldwide-4 Paul Gregg ( Spain)

 image- P Gregg ( at 2012 Olympics)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hatters Worldwide- 4 Paul Gregg(Malaga, Spain).

Just a few months ago the subject of this latest article in the `Hatters Worldwide` series offered the world his view whilst under lockdown via hedgegrower`s pages.

Paul`s words were eloquently expressed then, and are equally so now, thus hedgegrower is going to largely let Paul tell his story, from 1000 miles south of Stockport in Málaga !

 

 

 view from Paul`s office window in lockdown - image P Gregg

 

 

 

County supporter Paul Gregg ( Dudley Hatters on County Heaven) , is out of  7 weeks  lockdown now, and ready to tell his story.

……………………

Born  in Wythenshaw hospital in 1971 Paul initially lived in Heaton Mersey, attending St Winifred’s School. Opining the unchallengeable wisdom that “Fortunately I moved to Hazel Grove before the release of ‘There’s no one quite like grandma!”

Moving on Paul had a confession to make on the subject of singing “ I must confess at this point that I lie (very loudly) when singing The Scarf. I am the first in my family to be a County fan! I started following them in my mid-teens, frequenting the pop side, and  loved walking from end to end to watch the action. My biggest memories are of player manager Asa Hartford getting a straight red for tackling in the midfield with both his legs around the other guy’s waist! 

 Super Kev’s first goal ( against Northampton I think?) after he scored he jumped with both feet and kicked the wall at the end that is now the Cheadle End. Frankie Worthington strolling around and Tony Hancock scoring from the halfway line against Burnley”.

 

Paul`s journey as an exile started at the age of 18, with a move to the West Midlands, which eventually saw him pitch up at Dudley, thus  developed his current online persona.

 Living there for 30 years. Paul married into a family of Birmingham City fans, just a few years before them and us became bitter rivals on the park!

For Paul the major memory of these years were the first four Wembley trips and getting to as many ‘local games’ as he could. His first visit to the Hawthorns impressed him.

 “Obviously games against the blues took on more importance then and on one occasion my father got executive tickets through work. I was sat with my father and sister in law,just behind Jasper Carrot when Shefki Kuqi scored two towering headers. Jasper stood up and walked out after the second!

My favourite game at Birmingham was probably the FA Cup defeat. When we equalised with 9 men, the absolute pandemonium in the away end was something that still brings a smile to this day.” Offers Paul, continuing…..

“My son’s first football match was a 1-4 drubbing by Crewe. Needless to say I missed our goal because he needed the toilet, and he went on to become a season ticket holder at St Andrews.  I did allow him to come to Wembley in 2008 though ,and he is a County fan!”

During the non league years Paul`s love for County grew even stronger, especially thanks to County Heaven. Watching County had always been a solitary experience, until he made the acquaintance of “ a great group of people and now friends with a shared love of County”.

 

Subsequently Paul decided to follow his dreams and move to Spain to live and work- he was a true exile now!

 “ I tell people I’m from near Manchester, they usually ask, do you support United or City? `No I don’t` is followed by `don’t you like football then?` Then they get the full treatment and history!”

Now this is the part of Paul`s story that impresses me most, so again I shamelessly allow him to tell his story to you…..

 

“When I got here I still wanted my fix of live football, so I had two choices. CF Málaga former Champions League quarter finalists, bankrolled and then bankrupted by Middle Eastern money. Or El Palo a small community club in the Spanish 4th tier .El Palo is about 3/4 miles from the city Centre and still part of the urban area. The crowds are between 150/200 and they have a drummer and a flag waver! "

Some people need not pay to watch !

 

 


 

 

                                                                                                                  Ist game of season  2-0 win
 

 

 

"They have all age ranges of teams and work closely with the local community”.

 El Palo drummer away to Malaga B- image P Gregg

 

 

 

 

That was a spot on choice by Paul, and he continues to confirm that his City of choice for a place to live, was not bad either…..

 

“ If you have been to the Costa del Sol and never been to Málaga (as I hadn’t  prior to living here) then you have missed out on a treat. The buildings in the city centre are incredibly pretty and the people are genuinely warm and welcoming. Each day I walk to my bus stop past a Roman amphitheatre which is overlooked by a 10th century Moorish castle. The amphitheatre is free to walk around in and explore. I sometimes sit on the seats to read at the weekend! One of my favourite things is that Sunday is a real Sunday. Almost all big shops are closed, and families walk together around the pedestrianised city exploring the squares, restaurants and bars. And there are many!"

 Malaga at night- image P Gregg

 

 

 

 

"It was my dream to live and work here, I am now living, and living, my dream life. As my kids describe it, I live on holiday. If the temperature drops below 18 degrees I start to wonder what’s wrong! And as for the beaches....”

 Paul watching local team ( in County scarf) 20.12.20- image P Gregg.

 

 

 

 

 

Pretty much all the text above is by Paul, and the piece is all the better for it.

 

Old hedgie has contributions from Thailand, Canada, Singapore and 2 from the USA upcoming, but  still would like County exiles who have a story to tell, to contact him  – you know it makes sense, the County Family needs to know about you!

 

Stay safe and well, and once again thanks to Paul (Dudley Hatter) Gregg for his story !

 

hedgegrower

 

 

Comments

Top Posts

Simply Disgraceful !

Wrexham 1 Stockport County 2 ( Vanarama National League) 31 August 2019

Stockport County 4 Accrington Stanley 2 ( Football League 2) Saturday 20 April 2024